Re: drilled airbox in winter??

Thanks guys for your replys, but i know all about cold air being more
dense, making more power and all that, but since there is such a debate
about if drilling the airbox does help any, i just thought i'd give it a
try.  i know at slow speed you'll be sucking hot engine bay air into the
filter, but at high speed, i could see there being enough airflow through
there to get fresh colder air to the box.  i just thought i'd try it out 1)
to see for myself, and 2) to hear how it sounds.
and since it's easier than rigging up a cold air hose, i want to try.  So
my actual question was not if i should do it or not. but would there be any
problem with the open air box in the cold winter.
	but i think roland answered my question.

			Anyway, thanks again.  just had to get that out.

Owen
87 16v
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1571

> If anything you'd want to put the stock box on during the *summer*.
Remember that a drilled
> airbox sounds like it is making more power but may actually reduce power.
Air heated up by
> the engine is less dense than air at ambient temperature. It will also
promote preignition
> (manifested in the form of pinging or knocking). Ever wonder why turbo'd
cars have
> intercoolers? This is why.
>
> So, if you want to make more power, leave the box stock and run an air
hose to a high
> pressure area. Some will call this a ram air setup but it is really just
the temperature of
> the air that makes the difference. Later...
>
> Owen wrote:
>
> > but i'm wondering, with winter looming overhead,  if i should put the
stock box back in
> > when it starts to get cold and snowy?
>
> --
> Scott F. Williams
> NJ Scirocco nut
> Hotrod Rabbit GTi
> SCCA PRO Rally driver
>
> "Next event is the Pine Barrens Express on November 21st. -an all dirt
brisk TSD through the
> forests of Southern New Jersey."

- --