Re: Where?

At 09:01 AM 10/11/98 -0500, Aaron D. Patton wrote:
>I gotta disagree with you.  Speaking as somebody who believes in evolution
>and does not believe in god I think the little Darwin fish are pretty cool.

OK....

>All of our lives we are surrounded by things that shout "God is good!" or
>"if you don't say your prayers you're going to hell/ going to be a miserable
>failure after graduation/going to lose the big game miserably, etc..."

Where's this?  I've not run across these bumperstickers/ideologies.

  In
>some cases the Darwin fish are undoubtedly a knee-jerk reaction to societal
>inundation with religion, but in many instances I think they serve the same
>purpose as the Jesus fish.

No.  Absolutely not - the Jesus fish are not making fun of another
religion.  The Jesus fish are not taking a symbolic part of another
religion and grafting feet onto it(or whathaveyou).

They simply say "this is what I believe in".

They also imply that Christians are wrong.  Some Christians choose
bumperstickers that are offensive, but that is a choice they've made(to
offend, they know it, I'll leave out examples - we've all seen them).  The
Darwin fish are rude and tasteless, but I do not believe that most people
see it that way - most think they're a clever means of saying "this is what
I believe in."

  We
>may make fun of them from time to time, but hey, joke 'em if they can't take
>a f**k. :-)>
>Most of my family is VERY Southern Baptist (I DO live in Texas, after all)
>and I respect their right to believe in what they want.  All I ask in return
>is that they respect my beliefs, or lack thereof.

OK, so don't _make fun_ of their religion/belief!  Part of my family is
right wing Christian/Catholic conservative, writing books about abortion &
things(Charles Rice, professor at Notre Dame), he and I(and his family) do
NOT agree at all on a lot of things, but I'd never make fun of his
religion.  Just plain wrong.

I don't really care whether people use them - I simply think that they're
rude, thoughtless and hypocritical.  Everyone wants the Religious Right to
stay away, stop imposing their beliefs in our schools and our lifes, etc
etc etc, ok, fine, don't belittle them......

I.Mannix(saw a Scirocco this morning, a Mk2, heap-o-crap, he drove really
slow, and HAD to be in my lane - no matter what lane, it was far better
than the one he was in.  Sigh.  Eventually got around him......)
- --