Re: WHEELS

GUIDO.DAVID@PALO-ALTO.VA.GOV wrote:

> I just purchased my first Scirocco (MK1) a few weeks ago and I need new
> tires, but before I go with some standard 175/70R/13 I thought I would ask
> the list for an opinion.
>
> I know I guy who wants to sell his 14 inch rims from a 1984 GTI.
> Does it make good sense to go ahead with the 13 inch to 14 inch ugrade?
> I could put a lower profile tire on say a 185/60R/14.
>
> Are these  '84 GTI rims  "hub-centric" Does it matter?
>
> And lastly can someone fill me in on the  mm off-set issue? What is it
> good fer?

A 14" GTi rim is a great choice, albeit most VW OEM 14" Alloys are very heavy
(16lbs).  Just remember that the bigger rim size you go, the more offset
becomes a factor.  Hubcentricity is simply that the rim makes a good fit to the
wheel hub when it is mounted.  Many aftermarket rim companies in an attempt to
fit different cars have spacer rings to take up the space a larger center hole
in the rim will leave when mating to the hub.  This is a perfectly acceptable
practice used by the most respected wheel manufacturers.
    As far as offset goes, the optimum sizing seems to go like this:
14x6 38mm offset
15x6.5 or 7" 35mm offset
16x7 35mm offset
17x7.5  38-40mm offset
Granted, these are ballpark figures, so deviations of 2-5 mm should not cause
trouble with rubbing except in the 16 and 17 inch range.

As far as tires go, 185 60 14 is a good size.  Ultra low profile tires are
overrated, and it's hard to find anyone who makes that kind of tire in a 14
anyway.  I'd like to see a 195 50 or 45 just the same tho.
- --
Jim Buck 1987 16v

Got Wheels? Visit anyway!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5211/index.html