Re: [mk1][cold start valve][help]

Ummm I think the thermo plug provides ground to the cold start valve, not power. This
is how I understand the cold start valve working:

Power is run to it through the starter solenoid wire, directly. So whenever the
starter is activated, 12v should appear at one terminal of the cold start valve.

Ground is run to the cold start valve through the time thermo switch, which is closed
(current runs through it) at low temperatures and open at high temperatures. This is
so that the cold start valve doesn't inject fuel when starting hot. Also, the time
thermo switch shuts off after you've run the starter for a certain amount of time, to
prevent flooding. Therefore, if you jumper the thermoswitch and run the starter, the
cold start valve should inject fuel... anyone have more to add?
    Oh yeah and if you have a hot start pulse relay, then it will send ground to the
cold start injector in pulses when the starter is activated.
    -Josiah

A. Bjorkheim wrote:

> > I'm pretty darn sure that you could make this test a lot simpler by just
> > running 12v to the cold start valve and seeing if it sprays fuel while you jump
> > the fuel pump relay.
>
>     Yup, that is my next step.  I think the Bentley I have is screwed up.
> It tells me to jumper the thermo plug when testing the cold start valve
> but in another section it says that if you put a meter or a lamp on the
> plug of the cold start valve when the engine is cold, it should light up.
> Well, sounds contradictory to me to have a jumper on the thermo plug and
> get 12v at each terminal, thereby turning it totally off.  That is, when
> you are doing the tests.  Anyways, Brian Hannold pointed out the little
> mistake to me so now I know to avoid that section of the Bentely.  U still
> follow me?
>
>   Andre'
>   Neon Green 79

- --