Re: WHEELS

The 14" upgrade, IMHO will improve handling and braking.

All VW (watercooled) wheels are hub-centric.

If the 14" are stock Rabbit GTi wheels, they will fit perfectly.

If you use 14X6 VW wheels, you'll have no probs, as they are all 38mm
offset.

Offset basically tells you about the distance of the inner rim to the
spring. The larger the offset, the more likely you are to have clearance
probs. Lower offset = further away from springs (further from the center
of the car).

Of course, the width of the rim is a critical factor here. Whereas a 45mm
offset works fine for the stock 13X5 Mk1 rim, a 45mm offset on a 14X6 rim
would be disastrous.

Generally, you're safe with something near 38mm for 6"  wide rims, and
35mm for 7" wide rims.

Mark . . .
Scirocco 1982, Golf GT 1987
Scirocco 1978
Previous Sciroccos: 1981S (RIP), 1980S, 1975TS, 1975
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/marc.htm