WHEELS

I just purchased my first Scirocco (MK1) a few weeks ago and I need new
tires, but before I go with some standard 175/70R/13 I thought I would ask
the list for an opinion.

I know I guy who wants to sell his 14 inch rims from a 1984 GTI.
Does it make good sense to go ahead with the 13 inch to 14 inch ugrade?
I could put a lower profile tire on say a 185/60R/14.

Are these  '84 GTI rims  "hub-centric" Does it matter?

And lastly can someone fill me in on the  mm off-set issue? What is it
good fer?

Thanks!
David Guido
1980 Scirocco