[tech] roc is missing on acceleration

the AC removal is now done, thanks to help from
Potterman, but a new problem has arisen :-(

Help!

after I put everything back together and fired it up,
it began to hesitate when revving up.  I replaced the
coil with a spare I had and the problem seemed to
go away (in neutral).  Then, I went to drive it down the
street and it has hesitating pretty bad in gear, but it
would rev free in neutral still.  It feels like some sort of
ignition problem, but I didn't touch anything in the
ignition system while doing the AC.
I just replaced the distributor with the "euro", but it ran fine
with it before the water pump went out, so I don't think
it was the problem.

Any suggestions?
Any tests?
Please......