Re: [drag times][rules and tips of the game]

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998 10:24:07 -0400 "faust" <faust@gateway.net> writes:

>Exactly.  I was simply trying to clarify that an RT does not effect
>the ET on your time slip.

I follow you man, but to the new guy on the strip, this might confuse
them when he/she gets the time slip and it is stamped without the WIN on
it. You are exactly right. It does NOT effect the ET on the run at all.
The RT and ET are both combined for your total time. The funny thing is,
its not done anywhere but in the timming trailer. (tower, whatever.) Its
indicated by the win check mark, astric or whatever they use to indicate
a win at that track. Its rather odd, but thats how it works. Quirky to
someone who's never been exposed to it before.

>Yeah, since all of most likely have manual transaxles, the other guys
>are running with autos, it was the hardest part for me last time I went.

This shows the driving skills of a drag racer. Id love to have one of
those trannies that the GTC cars use. Not just for the drags, but for
autox too! No clutching, just like a motorcycle (Cant remember the name
of the syustem, just got up, no coffee yet.) bang gears up, and bang them
down too. Rggh-Rggh-Rggh. Me want one.

>Not if your ET is dead on with your dial-in, at least that's how I
>understand it.
>The difficult part is gettting your dial-in time right.

Oh, now your talking about bracket racing! Yes-yes-yes. You are right. I
was talking about heads up toe to toe, knock down, drag out da cat,
racing. Thats another world in itself. A different game plan all
together.
Consistency from the car is critical and having the fastest car is not
important at all. When I raced at the "Worlds Oldest Drag Strip" at the
InyoKern airport, (Ridgecrest!) there was this lady running bracket 4
(the run whatever you brung class) with a Pontiac Grand Prix, DIESEL! And
she kicked ass with it. She ran consistent 22.6XX everytime and she
kicked but. She wasso slow that it would make her competitors "break out"
(Run faster than their dial in) because she got a 6 second head start on
most everybody. She was the queen of consistency. Her main competitor
before I stopped racing was a guy in a Ford Festiva. He was slow too but
extremely consistent.

I need to get back in the sport some day. Im kinda hooked on this Autox
thing right now. You get much more seat time and it costs much less than
drag racing..... and you get to turn alot and stuff. :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and