Re: VR6 12V or 24V

Derek&Shandrica Williams wrote:

> Help am I going crazy?  If I'm wrong I will give my life to the VW Gods
> I know that the VR6 engine has 12 Valves but everchat Room I go to in
> AOL the whole room says I'm wrong including people who say they are
> so-called VW Watercooled experts.  Please Tell me if I'm going crazy
> Does the VR6 engine have 12Valves or 24 valves.  This must be a
> punishment from the VW Gods for being lured to the dark side because I
> hve no VW's and only 2 Turbo dodges.

Trust me, it has 12.  AOL chat room?  Uh..........

Where a fight often breaks out is over whether to call it DOHC or SOHC.  VW
rather arrogantly declares it to be DOHC, but there is only one cam per
bank of cylinders, activating both intake and exhaust valves, so most common
wisdom considers this to be SOHC.

There are rumours of a 24-valve 205-hp upgrade to the VR6 in the works for
sometime next year.  Haven't seen any official confirmation but lots of
scuttlebut in the mags etc.  Time will tell!

- --
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0