Re: Installing a NEW MK1 DASH (I have questions)

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Kathy Teulie wrote:

> Today I got a black dash for my MK1 Scirocco.
> This NEW, never installed dashboard is perfect.
> Just to update all the listers on my MK1 project
> My car came with the brown interior and the crap
> brown carpet with stains and all the fast food spills for no extra
> charge. I have totally removed the interior that came with the car
> and replaced it with a black interior from an "S". The only thing left to
> change
> is my crap brown dash that looks like a dried lake bed.

Good find dude....wish I could have found one when I was doing my dash
swap...

> OK I am now over my head but people do assemble these cars.
> Can any one tell me how to install a DASH into a MK1 Scirocco?
> Do I need to take out the windshield?  Is it possible to do this without
> changing the window seals?

No...you don't need to take out the windshield at all...there is a little
lip that sticks out from under the windshield that has clips on it, thats
how the dash is stuck on there....two screws on each end by the doors, and
all the misc stuff you need to remove..(speedo cluster, heater controls,
vent tubing, all switches and wiring) be careful of the wiring...there are
some harnesses that are tied to the underside of the dash...especially
right behind the speedo cluster....so be careful, take your time, be
prepared to spend time on your back under the dash...take the opportunity
to put in a new fuse box, you'll NEVER have a better time to do it....

Eric
(WOW...I actually had relevant useful info to share! WOOO HOOO)

Feel free to ask me any other questions...I removed my a/c box under the
dash and installed the heater only one...so I have personal experience
with it....

- --