Re: Quick Question-Suspension

Night Shadow wrote:

> Is it possible to overtighten the top front strut nut?

It's impossible to overtighten any nut, Eric, but it shouldn't if properly
tightened, back out.  I believe Konis have aircraft nuts to keep them there
too.

> Reason I ask...put on Koni's not to long ago...noticed some clunking on
> bumps yesterday....look today to find my top nuts completely loose.
>
> Took the car to local tire shop, they air gunned the nuts on REAL
> tight...suddenly I had a real strong pull to the right.

Bastards.  I had this done right in front of me where the guy air gunned the
lugs on, then put the torque wrench on...if it clicked, they were "properly
torqued".  I quickly stopped him and said "hey, just for kicks, set your torque
wrench another 50ft lbs higher and try to loosen them!  I mean, surely they
should just spin right out without clicking that magic little wrench you use so
well."  Well after he had to stand on the wrench to get one of the nuts off, I
politely said, "listen to me now and hear me later, If one of these lug seats
are damaged, one brake rotor warped, or one set of threads stripped, you're
going to buy the replacement wheels or parts, and putting them on will be your
last task at this job."  Fortunately, we both were lucky, no damage.

> got the car home, put my 14" tires on to go play, adjusted my sway bar
> (neuspeed...those heim joints are a bitch to get centered right)...now my car
> is DAMN
> squirrly...pulls left, then right...worse on small bumps....I need to
> align it...just making sure that having the top nuts too tight can't screw
> anything up....
>
> Eric

Well, having a bigger front bar will make your steering response much quicker
but....
Try taking a tape measure and lay down beside one of your front tires,
extending the tape to hook to one of the tread grooves, then take the end you
have and get a measurement from the same groove on your side tire.  Then do the
same measurement on the back side of the tires.  The difference should let you
know about how much toe in or toe out you have.  Toe out usually makes the car
more squirelly.
--
Jim Buck
1990 Passat Wagon 2.0 16v