Re: Brakes (tech) Slotted vs X-Drilled

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:05:14 EST TBerk16@aol.com writes:

>I'm not in any position to plug or unplug this paticular company but the
slots
>vs x-drilled factions seem to be coming out in favor of the slotted
ones.

I have to agree. Even tho there are manufacturing techniques that help
limit the cracking factor of the drilled rotors, they still_do_crack.

>Drilling seems to weaken the disks more, slotting allows the heated
gasses
>generated by braking to escape at least as well as holes do, although
some say
>just cutting a groove in the pads will work the same.

The drilled do both in they allow the gasses to escape, but it also
increases the surface area of the rotor which acts like a heat sink and
aids in the cooling process.
Something i find interesting is that NASCAR uses the slotted rotors
instead of the cross drilled. There must be something to it if those
heavy racecars at tracks like Martinsville are only using the slotted.
Even F1 cars (That ive seen.) only use the slotted. (I haven't seen many
of the F1 cars brake setups, YET.)

>Hmmmm, my way to sway leans towards slotted rotors when needed to
>replace them worn out stock units.
>TBerk and his $0.02

I have a set of the Atomic Grooved rotors with Ferodo pads on my GLi and
they kick ass. High speed exits from the freeway allow for some really
late braking and the harder you push on the pedal, the faster you slow
down. There's not even a hint of brake fade just this impressive feeling
of raw braking HP.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and