Re: Voltage issues

In a message dated 11/19/98, 7:12:02 AM, Wiley.Cox@glenayre.com writes:
<<  I've also
noticed that the voltage tends to be higher right when I start the car,
and drops off as I drive it, to a lower point.  When idling with nothing
on, when I first start the car, it runs somewhere around 13 volts on the
meter on the car, but when I have everything running, it gets down
towards that hazy red-green area that looks like about 10.5.  Am I
expecting too much?  I wouldn't think it should be getting much below
12, with everything except the stereo on.  Grounding everything might
help this problem, right?  Or is it really a problem?

-WileyC
1984 Red 8v
(w/hella 55W lights!)

Yeah, 'chu got a problem.

Whichever way you go, you will want to help things out with the electrical
contact reconditioning/gounding suplimention (uho, too much lawyerspeak=too
much congressional findings coverage).

You should expect having over 12V whenever the engine is under a normal load
and only dip under this for short periods. Normally, folks look forward to
13-14V as a nominal value. If you are seeing less than that on a regular basis
it's time to think More Power!.

This can come from two points of attack: Improving the current situation and
adding a greater source of power. I'd think that your car, having upgraded
lights and a higher than normal sound system needs to look at getting a 90A
altenator.

Just a message or two back was someone's comment about trouble getting a
replacment Alt. to fit because of diff. brackets. It can be done, may need
some grafting.

I'm looking at doing this myself so I'll see for myself.

GL,
TBerk