RE: Voltage issues

yes, grounding helps tremendously, especially extra engine to ground,
and alt. case to neg. batt. terminal.  also, change your battery cables,
sand down all the contact points on all the wires hooked to the battery,
and the chassis were the ground strap is connected to.  if after that
it's still not enough, you may want to consider changing to the 90 amp
alt.  i'm not sure if you have one on there already.  i know the later
model sciroccos with a/c have the 90 amp.

chris
86 16V scirocco