From: Jonas Karlsson <jkarlsso@metabolex.com>
To: David Ruby <dbruby@ainet.com>; scirocco list <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Date: Mittwoch, 18. November 1998 14:35
Subject: RE: Oil in the air box

David Ruby wrote:
>Hello crew,
>Seems like ther hasn't been enough tech questions lately, so >here's one
for the gurus to munch on:
>Working on my '86 8v today, installing extra ground wires >(yippee!), I
decided to remove the rubber shell from atop the air >box (you know, the
mass airflow thingy).  Anyway, I was surprised >to find oil in the strainer.
Not alot, but enough to make me >worry.  The car has been running rich and
crappy for as long as >I've had it, and nobody can figure out what the
problem(s) >is/are.  >Questions:
>1.) obviously, some of this oil is making its way into the >intake.  Is
this partly to blame for drivability problems?

I doubt it. The oil in this place is not uncommon. If anything the oil could
impair the movements of the airflow sensor. This would not make it run rich
( I don't think so anyway) but behave sluggish. Like you step on the gas and
it is slow to respond. But it doesn't sound like that is happening here. If
you can lift it with some needlenose pliers, and movement is not hindered,
it's OK.

>2.) why is there a hose from the top of the valve cover to the >bottom of
the airbox?  This seems to be the source of the oil.

Right you are! The German Engineers (tm) thought this would be a good place
for a breather hose.

>3.) Is this indicative of an oil blow-by problem (bad valve >seats,
perhaps, or ???)

doubt it, there is supposed to be lots of oil in the cylinder head, that way
the cam doesn't sieze up. =^) Bad valve seats or valve seals would cause oil
to be sucked into the cylinders, burned, and come out as white smoke from
the exhaust.
>4.) Anything else?

I wouldn't be concerned. But one way to deal with this is to buy an upper
oil baffle. I'm sure one of the list vendors can get you one, if not then
Techtonics has them for sure. Or you can go to a junkyard and find an A2
(hydraulically liftered engine)and get it from there. Just remove the valve
cover, and it's right there. This will block the oil from splashing up into
the breather hose.
>Cheers to anyone who can clear this up to any extent.
>
>-Dave
>86 8v

Good luck.

Jonas 85 Scirocco