Water leak, alternator, etc.

OK, you guys...

A couple weeks ago, I wrote saying that after replacing the water pump on my
'81, I had a terrible water leak that I couldn't find.  I *finally* had a
day that I could take to work on it (today), and I can't find a bad freeze
plug or a crack in the block, thankfully.  So, I replaced the water pump yet
again, really putting the sealant on heavy this time.  We'll see what
happens tomorrow or Friday.

BUT, I decided while I was there that I was really sick of that awful, heavy
AC compressor and mounting thing, so I took it off.  I have a bunch of
brackets and stuff for mounting the alternator from my other 'roccos, so I
used some from the '78.  I had to change the water pump pulley and the crank
pulley, too.  Now for the problem:  The alternator pulley won't line up.
It's about 1/4" too short.  I can get a new alternator that the parts store
says will work, but is that the only option I've got?  I know it's possible
sometimes to switch out the spacer on the alternator shaft, but I don't
think it'll work in this case.  Even if I had one that would work, the shaft
on the alternator doesn't have enough threads, I don't think.

Thanks in advance!

Carlyle Fitzgerald