From: Majordomo [mailto:majord@neubayern.net]On Behalf Of Wm. Josiah
Erikson
Sent: Monday, November 16, 1998 7:16 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: Re: Synthetic Oil?

FWIW, Car & Driver did a study awhile back about synthetic oil. They tested
some New York taxis over 60,000 miles and could not discern any difference
in
engine wear between synthetic and normal oil, nor could they tell the
difference between any of the other oils. As far as they could tell, all
oils
protected as well as each other. In extreme temperature situations,
synthetic
oil can help. But unless you live in Alaska or the Sahara, I wouldn't worry
about it.  Just my $.02
    -Josiah
    '84 GTi (away for the winter)
    '86 Scirocco 8v (for sale)