[tech] oil cooler leak?

I'm working on an '84 Scirocco that has oil coming out from the general
area of the oil cooler. Is it unheardof for these to leak oil? It's a
rather fast leak, leaving puddles of oil wherever it goes, and it's quit
obvious that if it's not the oil cooler, then it's the oil filter flange
or something. I know it's not the seal between the oil filter and the
oil cooler, could it be the seal between the oil cooler and the flange?
Or do the oil coolers ever leak?
    Thanks!
    -Josiah
    '84 GTi (away for the winter)