Re: Front wheel bearings.

In case you have to do it again - a tip for removing tie-rods from hubs:
1. do all this before undoing anything else

2. turn the hub out so the hub steering arm is pointing out towards you

3. undo the castellated nut on the tie-rod joint.  If the split pin
won't come out you can replace the castellated nut with a nylock nut (
at least in the UK MOT test, it's OK ).
If the nut turns without coming undone, get a strong bar that is long
enough to go across the top of the tie-rod joint, with one end under the
footwell and a couple of feet on the other side, to give a bit of
leverage.
When you push down, it should stop the joint/shaft turning.

4. leave the nut on the end of the shaft, with the end of the shaft just
proud of the nut face,  and hit the hub arm ( not the tie- rod!) end-on
with a lump hammer (3-4 lb ish?) a few times.
Hopefully the shock shold break the rust between the arm and the tie-rod
joint.
Try giving the tie-rod shaft a few taps from underneath and if it
doesn't move, give the hub arm another few goes.

It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to do it this way any
there is no need to risk the ball-joint by heating the arm.

Cheers,

Ewan.
'85 2.0 Storm
'86 1.8 GT

>Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 19:42:43 -0800
>To: "Jerry Daugherty" <jdaugher@cyberramp.net>, scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>From: Kevin <aventari@cts.com>
>Subject: Re: Front wheel bearings.
>
>Wow, thats pretty funny cuz i just got done putting new wheel bearings
in
>yesterday! My fronts started very quietly howling about 1 month ago and
>slowly got louder and louder. when the machine shop pressed them out
>yesterday, i had to replace the hub on the side that was really bad.
The
>hardest part of the whole job was getting those stupid tierods out of
the
>steering knuckle!! ARGH! But i did it. it took 3 hours to pull both
hubs
>off, and about 4 hours to put everything back again (going really
slowly,
>cleaning all the parts up and stuff)
>The bearings were 17 each, the new hub was 21 bux, and the machine shop
>dude only charged me 40 bucks for both sides. About 100 total and 7
hours

>not a really hard job though
>
>At 10:05 AM 11/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Does anyone know about how long I can go on a wheel bearing that's
begun to
>>howl?  I'll have to take it in tomorrow to get fixed, but I need to
know if
>>it's safe to drive the car today.  It just started making noise
Friday, and