Re: question for the list from a newbie

Robert Luhrs <rhl@student.umass.edu> wrote:

>the first scirocco. It is located in Vermont, and is an 86 5 speed
>with 143,000 miles on it. Apparently there are no leaky fluids(other

I think that there is some chance that a later '86 could be a 16V model.
If so,  value would be higher than an 8V.

Electrical systems on Sciroccos are a weak point.  Make sure all the
electrical devices work (e.g. the horn, all speeds on the blower motor
etc.)  From what I've read on the list, sunroofs also seem to be trouble
prone and a pain to fix.  Common problems include bad upper strut bearings
and passenger side motor mount, both of which can theoretically be replaced
by the home mechanic but might give you a bargaining lever when it comes
time to dicker on price.

I guess we should assemble a comprehensive buyer's guide for Sciroccos to
put on the web page?  b-------