Re: [non-Scirocco] S2000 + high specific output

At 12:31 AM 11/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Just thinking about this whole debate, where people are saying that all of
the
>engines these days that have high specific output have no power down low.
What
>about the Ferrari F355? 385bhp from 3.5L V-8, normally aspirated! And they
say
>it's tractable and very driveable, with a good torque curve. I mean, I
realize
>that I'm talking about a car that costs over $100,000, but still.... the
>technology IS there, no? Is there something I don't know about this
engine? (BTW,
>it does have variable valve timing, too, right?) It seems that it is
possible to
>build an engine with incredible specific output without having the
drawback of
>lack of power down low.

 Sure you can have some of both. My bike motor puts out around 130bhp/liter
estimated (110hp at rear wheel, 955cc engine). It has awesome torque from
3000-10,000 rpm. Its specific power is low compared to some 99 models, but
it has such a broad torque range, I don't care. One new model makes
200bhp/liter from a naturally aspirated 600cc engine, but makes its power
at very high rpm, redlining at 15,500rpm. Currently no bikes have VTEC
stock that I am aware of. Most of these high performance bikes are 4 valve
engines. Granted some of the power loss in cars is from more smog
equipment, but it certainly seems that real performance cars should be able
to come close to these numbers. After all, car manufacturers have alot
bigger budget for R&D than bike manufacturers. And it does seem like most
engine performance innovations come from the automotive side, not as many
from the bike side.

Brad