Re: Re-installing motor (Help)

hmmm . . . I had to do this last May . . .

Listers, please correct me and or fill in the gaps!

1) remove the transmission timing hole plastic thing, the distributor cap
(noting the position of the #1 plug wire), and the #1 spark plug.

2) turn the crankshaft until the 0 (zero) timing mark is right at the
"pointer" At this point the # cylinder should be at TDC (confirm by
looking thru #1 spark plug hole.

3) turn the distributor so that the rotor is pointing directly at the #1
spark plug position (this should be marked on the dist. housing with a
notch) (and you should have made a note of it!) - this will align the
intermediary shaft.

4) align the cam sprocket per mr. Bentley.

5)install and tighten the timing belt (careful not to move any of the
sprockets)

6) once tightened, check to make sure the flywheel, distributor rotor and
the cam sprocket are still aligned. If not, try again.

It took me a while to do this by myself, its better to have a helper.

Mark . . .   (THINK VW) keep the non-VW posts to yourself!
Scirocco 1982, Golf GT 1987
Previous Sciroccos: 1981S (RIP), 1980S, 1975TS, 1975
http://home.t-online.de/home/SCIROCCO2/mark.htm