16v timing questions

I bought an 87 16v a couple of weeks ago.  Over the last few weeks, I have
been sorting out some of it's issues. Yesterday, I put a new timing belt and
water pump on.  When I brought the car to TDC via the timing hole on the
tranny, the cam timing was off by one tooth.  Actually, it was advanced one
tooth.

When I put everything back together, the cam and crank timing were lined up
correctly.  I bolted everything up, and tried to start the car.....NOTHING!
The only way I can get the car to start is to crank the Distributor to FULL
advance.  The one tooth advanced makes sense now.  The full advance on the
distr. makes up for the advanced cam timing.

Possible reasons/solutions
Someone shaved the head?
They replaced the cam timing chain, and didn't syncronize the cams?

Anyone, Anyone.........Buuuuuueller

Thanks in advance!
Patrick
82 Callaway. (the block is drilled, the engine is going in this week!)
82 Sportruck  reliable transportation
87 16v  Super advanced...for it's age
90 Corrado...it has issues