[other] auto tranny powerloss

Tell me if I'm drunk, was re-reading the premier issue of MAX Power,
theur Passat 1.8T project car, they add a chip and dyno and claim
170hp, then go on to say, but this was the automatic transmission so
you have to add back 15-17%. Did I read this right? They are saying
that an automatic tranny looses 15-17% over a standard? They go on
to say so our car was really pulling 190something..I think they
meant to say we dynoed at the wheels so powertrain(standard OR
automatic) is a 15-17% loss, so I don't think that's what they
mean, just trying to state that it was an automatic tranny too??
Anyone else read this?

what is the power loss due to a torque converter? I mean once the
tranny is engaged, is an auto slower than standard? how much power is
lost shifting in an anto tranny compared to standard, even say of
shifting in the auto is reduced to 0.2 seconds, is it neglitible or
noticable? thanks
Ryan

Ryan