Re: cam redline?

On Fri, 06 Nov 1998 08:04:39 -0800 the mad bastard <stoopid@idirect.com>
writes:

>why doesn't the rev-limiter kick in at 6250 (or whatever an 8V redline
>is)?  does that mean that when i get my schrick 260 or 268 i'll be
>able to rev it out to 8000?

Depends on if he has CIS or CIS-E. Even my 86 GLi has rev-limiter set to
6,700. Our JH motors should be 6,250 in stock form. Ive revved mine to
8,000 without problem not that it gave me more power.
While the fatter cam will flow a little more air than a stock cam will
and will raise the redline to a degree, the limiting factors of the fat
cam working the higher rpms is the valve springs ability to quickly close
the valves soon enough to avoid valve float.

Another factor is the weight of the valve train. Each piece of the valve
train must also move and its ability to quickly change direction is
directly effected by the weight.

Then you get into the intake/exhaust system flow characteristics. A stock
head wont flow as well as a finely P&P head and matching intake runners,
and exhaust system. All of these come into play on how high the redline
is and also how much power is made at the higher rpms. As ive said
before, I can and have rev'd my motor to and past 8,000 rpms on a couple
occasions. There definately wasn't more power there but there was lots of
valve float!

>btw, ever hear of a web cam?  good, bad, ugly?  thanks.
>jason - the madieus bastardieus

Yes, but its nothing at all like what your thinking it is you motorhead!

WEB CAM-
its one of those little cameras that allows you to gawk at a person
behind the monitor. You've seen them im sure. They sit on top of the
monitor? Sure ya have.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and