Re: There is nothing wrong with Hondas

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 9:21 PM, Wm. Josiah Erikson <mailto:josiah@gsinet.net>
wrote:
>They're great cars. Enough said. Yes, they have no character, and they're
>little tin boxes, yadda yadda yadda, but they are incredibly well
engineered.
>They are more reliable than our VW's by a long shot, too...
>But I drive a VW, not a Honda. That says something, doesn't it? (And I'm
not
>planning on switching, ever)
>Just bothers me to see Hondas get trashed on all the time. Maybe lame
people
>drive them a lot, but they're good cars.
>    -Josiah

For a while I was completely lusting after a friends old beat up '81 Accord
sedan. Crap for "performance", but funky as hell. I think the Japanese
builders didn't really get the American market until the mid-80's. I had an
'86 Accord hatch for a short while, and while it drove alright, my next car
was VW (as was the car before). Something about that no-nonsense design.
Hondas are OK. I can't blame anyone who doesn't really care about cars,
just wants it to get them to work and such, for buying one. IMO the new
VW's are definitely more posh, but they still have the edge in design and
cool idiosyncracies, like the ratchet-pump seat adjust thing. It's not as
straightforward as the old knob (knobs rock!), but it's not like anything
else. I still wish they would give us a bare-bones engine with seat kind of
thing. A *real* new Beetle.

I'm not so sure Honda's are that much more reliable than current VW's.

scott

- --