RE: [help][brakes]urgent

> original post:
>

> ]].ebrake doesn't work and brake
>
> ]]performance is still mediocre (brakes only grabbed after pedal was
> 1/3
> ]]to 1/2 of the way down, slightly stronger grab now).
>
> ]]CONCLUSION: i believe that my problems can be traced to the rear
> brakes
> ]]and the lack of stopping power being applied to the rear wheels.  I
> ]]believe this due to a)no ebrake performance (even with new pads and
> new
> ]]calipers); b)generally weak brake performance all around; c)no rear
> ]]lockup on snow under full pedal.
> ]]
> ]]The problems could be:
> ]]1. bad pressure regulators
Sorry, i meant to say PROPORTIONING VALVE here, not pressure regulators
> ]]2. contaminated rear pads and/or rotors
> ]]3. old rotors
>

> The rear wheels should not lock up under full braking.  The front
> wheels
> provide most of the stopping power while the rears just slow you down,
> in a
> manner of speaking.  I'm not familiar with the meat and bones of the
> system,
> but is it possible you're proportioning valve is bad?
I think they may be.  The Bentley doesn't say much about these.  Any
advice on replacing these?  there are two.  Replace both?  replace one?
which one?
>   Jack up the rear and get
> a friend to put on the brakes just to see if the rears are working.
> It is probably a safe bet that you're braking problems are
> not with your rear(apart from your ebrake), but with your front.  If
> your pedal
> is that soft, you may try bleeding the fronts again.  If the pedal
> feels good
> but the pads still aren't grabbing when they should, it may be
> contaminated
> pads or rotors( maybe the guys at the shop didn't clean the rotors
> before
> installing?)
fronts bled good.  contamination may be a possibility, as they replaced
both the front rotors and pads.   if one is contaminated, does the other
become contaminated due to contact?  is there any way to tell if either
is contaminated?
>    As far as the Ebrake goes, did you try adjusting the cables at
> the hand lever?
yes, all the way down.
>   Are the cables good?
yes
> Since the ebrake is all mechanical, it
> should not affect regular braking.  the ebrake mechanism in one of my
> calipers
> is bad also.  Unfortunately, the only solution is replacement.
just replaced my rear calipers with rebuilds, so we'll assume the
rebuilds are good (they came from Mark at Adirondack), that eliminates
one problem and leaves a couple more

> good luck

thanks
john