re: [brakes]

> What condition are the parking brake cables in? Do the move easily?
excellent, yes.

> Did you adjust the length of the "P" brake cables?
no, they are pulling the ebrake "arms" on the calipers through full
motion, to the point where it is impossible to pull the "arms" any
further forward.

> Whats the thickness of the rear rotors? That will have an effect on
> the
> brake system.
did not measure it.  i assumed that since the shop did not replace the
rear rotors (just the rear pads) that the thickness was OK.  I guess i
need to buy a measurement tool and do that.

> Im not familiar with the procedure for bleeding the rear brakes on a
> 16V
> but doesn't it require the prop valve set wide open or something like
> that? I remember something like this needing to be done for it to work
> properly. Dunno fer sure.
i don't remember reading that in the Bentley while doing the procedure.
i will double check, and get back to you, but i doubt that's in there.

> Just for giggles, id check the entire length of the rear brake lines.
> You
> or the shop that did your brakes might have kinked the line enough to
> make it perform less than desirable for you.
where do the rear lines run?

> The last thing I can think of is that you might have simple gotten
> used
> to the performance of the brakes and now you feel that its "not what
> it
> used to be". You know, kinda like when your in the "library" reading
> your
> manual and the place is starting to stink up a bit. You notice it at
> first but after a few minutes it seemingly goes away. Then you step
> out
> of the "library" and it will never fail that somebody in the house
> will
> pass by the door and have some negative comment about how you need to
> change your diet and such. See, you were used to it so you didn't
> notice
> much.
hmmm.........
no, the braking power has significantly decreased, to the point where i
don't feel the stopping distances are safe.  in addition, your
explanation, although reasonable, doesn't account for the failure of the
e-brake mechanisms.

> (I know, i will go a LONG and sometimes embarrassing way to get my
> point
> across.)
>
> HTH, If not humored you.)!

humored and helped!  thanks, shawn

PS------>any thoughts on my theory regarding proportioning valves ie:the
proportioning valves have failed or are clogged & are not sending enough
pressure to the rear brakes (while the front operation seems fine).  the
Bentley says that failed proportioning valves are usually spotted by
pulling left & right, not necessarily differential from front to rear.
however, it seems that there could possibly be a loss of pressure to the
rear lines/calipers.

john
jgies@skandia.com
'88 16v Alpine White