A1 & A2 interchangablility :was -Re: 16V manifold question

______________________
>  Todd J.
>  shikaroka@juno.com
>   Replied:
>  I tried to answer you last time, but my e-mail server is giving me fits.
>  I don't think that anyone has answered you yet, so here it goes.
>
>  NO!  They are totally different.  The exits are offset on different
>  sides for the A2's and A1's.
>  I am sure of this because I worked at a VW/AUDI garage for about 6 years
>  and I have seen many of both manifolds.  I have also been asked that
>  question many times, and tried it out myself.
_________________________
And then TBerk Queried:
(Open question to anybody in the know)
OK, given that the A1 and A2 offset will strike swapping the manifold; How
about down pipes? And perhaps more importantly what about post-CAT exhausts?
Does the A2 twist and turn differently than the A1s?

I am contemplating an '81 w/ 1.7 to a conventional dual-down pipe to a
stainless A2 post CAT w/ exhaust.

Reasonable?  How much of the A2 series can I graft onto an A1?

'Tanks in advance,
TBerk