Re: question re: loose-feel shifter?

> > > hey there again!
> > >
> > > i just noticed today that while engaged in gear, the shifter has
> about 1+"
> > > of play from side to side. i can also now hear the shift mechanism
> clicking
> > > and clacking. does this mean the shift boot (if there is one) is
> broken?
> > > what gives? thanks all!
> > Dave, all you probably need is a shifter bushing kit available from
> Mark
> > at Adirondack or Potterman at Virual Parts (co-champions in my book).
> > About $20 or $30 dollars.  All you have to do is get under the car,
> and
> > exchange each bushing, and you'll swear you changed trannies!
>
> Don't forget the ball pivot, they usually get worn square, its a round
> ball with a flange like thing on it.  See page MAN 7,8,9 of the Orange
> Bently.
>
> ==
> -Paul

Dave, I would have a look under the car to make sure the ball is still there.
If it's the same ball Paul is talking about, mine actually fell off this
summer.  One day my shifter just got all loose and had a metal sound when i'd
shift.  The best way to describe this part is a ball in cage.  It's a rubber
ball, stuck on to the end of a short metal rod.  The ball is in a 4-5 sided
box.

    You're problem sounds just like mine, so thats what i'd check first.  It'll
only take minut.

        GL

                        Owen
                        87 16V