Re: [engine] Cracked head???

At 10:19 PM 1/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>today i went to start my car, and had some difficulty. i checked the
>radiator only to find SLUSH in the overflow, dark slush at that. so i
>went to my neighborhood Canadian Tire store to get the rad flushed and
>filled. they found oil in the anti-freeze, not good. does this mean a
>bad head gasket? or does this mean a crack in the block or head? i can't
>remember if oil in the anti-freeze means cracked head and anti-freeze in
>the oil means head gasket or visa-versa.
>
>Canadian List Members - do you know of any good 1.8L or 2.0L 8Vs around?
>(especially Owen?)
>
>Thanx In Advance
>Sean Penny
>'84 Zender Z400 (further away from completion because of cracked head?)

Most likely a blown head gasket. You could get mixing of antifreeze and oil.
Do a compression test, and see what the readings are. Check the oil, see if
it's milky(antifreeze in the oil). You'll probably have to pull the head.
I just did that on my 1.7. It took about 8 hours with the right tools.
Before you pull the head, make sure you have, brand new head bolts (VERY
important), head gasket. And the 12 pt tool to remove and tighten head bolts.
I didn't even have to pull the manifolds off to my head out of my 81.
Relatively easy job.
Make SURE you do a compression test.
I'd say a cracked head or block is unlikely depending on how you drive your
car.
The head gasket will go first

Kevin
81 S