Re: oil pressure questions

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:52:20 -0500 (EST) Greg Faust
>Correct.  I want to replace the factory coolant to oil cooler.  I've
never had
>any problems with it other thatn the fact that I regularly see 110 c.
during
>hard summer driving.  I figured that an air oil cooler would give me an
extra
>margin and keep the oil in the 90-100 range.  I've never read any pros
or cons
>on using a air cooler in a 16v, so I thought it wise to seek out advise
from
>the pros on this list.  It seems that this would be a good mod for my
engine as
>it is extremely high mileage and let's just say I enjoy driving it.

The story behind the stock coolers is they have a rep of failing and
leaking fluids between the oil/coolant. The one I have on my GLi (Yeah,
its still there. for now.) doesn't do as good of a job as id like since
temps run at 220F +/- 5 pretty much all the time. If I had a 25MM socket
to get the nut off, id of taken it out of the car when I did the head
gasket/P&P/Polished intake/ect.. job recently. I got everything back
together, fired up the car (in the dark.) and after about 30 seconds, I
hear a spraying sound so I shut it off. Look at the ground and there's
about 2 quarts $$$ of 5W50 synthetic oil on the ground. I thought the
cooler had a leak in it since that's where the oil was comming from.
The next day I removed the new oil filter and the gasket for the old oil
filter falls out. DOH!!
don't work on the car in the dark is my new motto!

Anyway, back to the original post.

I don't know if the 16V CAN make more oil temp than an 8V. I wouldn't
think so. I have a 10 row cooler with a 80 degree thermostated oil
cooler. With fresh oil, the temps stay at 180F-190F degrees all the time.
When autoxing in the summer, I hardly ever saw temps above 200F. I've had
the 5W50 synthetic in the car for about a year now. I don't know how many
miles is on the oil. (don't wanna go outside and do the calculations.) Id
say about 10-11,000 miles. At the last autox, I got temps at around 220F
after my runs were over but they quickly cooled down. Freeway temps are
always at @180F. Driving around town doesn't get much more temp rise.
Even top end driving on the freeway (Vegas to San Diego in 4 hrs. 3
stops. 368 miles.) showed nothing more than 190F.

As a result of cooler oil temp, the water temps have maintained lower
overall temps as well. So it's beneficial for more than just oil temps.

Previous to getting the oil cooler, I had experienced oil temps at 330F
(155C?) on one autox! To me, that was a but high and reason enough to get
the cooler.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and