Re: oil pressure questions

---Greg Faust <FAUSTGE@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU> wrote:

> I am planning on putting a oil pressure guage in my 88 16v, and have
a few
> questions:
>
> 1. I know the lower limit is 2 bar for the PL engine, but whats the
upper
> threshold?  What do you guys with pressure gauges see regularly?
> I have a vdo 5 bar gauge I would like to use.  Is it ok to use a
lower scale
> gauge for more accurate lower readings?

I like the "bar" guages.  I have a 5 bar in my Audi.  It is all you
should need.  Under accelleration or cold-- 5 bar is where the
pressure shoots to.  If it reads between 3.5-5.5 bar under normal
driving/acceleration you should be fine.  I think I idle around 3 bar
(in the Audi) 2 bar at 1800 rpm I believe is the minimum for our VW's.

> 2.  Has anyone used the Euro GTI oil filter mount as sold by
Autotech?  Does it
> accept the same two pressure swithes in the housing?  Ist it truly a
bolt on?
> and lastly, anyone know where I could get it for less than $250

Given you have the 16v w/the cooler, I see no need for this at all.

> 3.  Any tips for puchasing,(sources) installing, using an oil
cooler?  I am
> thinking about a 16 row setrab with braided lines and a euro mount.
I would
> like to find a better price for one as the $500 AutoTech wants seems
to be
> pretty outrageous.

Again, unless you live in a warm climate area or seriously race the
car, again, I would not think you need it.  More to break & leak.  I
would never consider it here in Ohio even given my Auto-Xing the car.
But if I lived in San Diego and raced I would seriously consider it.

==
-Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan
90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v
87 Scirocco 16v E-Stock
87 Jetta GLi
63 Bug Sunroof
"Friends don't let friends drive MINI-VANS!!!!"