Re: vw bashing

I just visited the Http://www.bitch&moan.com/user/kr2/car17.html.  Just a few
thoughts on the subject.

1. I agree with previous posts regarding nazi ties with vw.  however, its not
irrelevent.  it is important that we examine and understand the role vw had in
nazi germany.  vw knows this.  thats why they commissioned the potentially
damaging book.  Strike that "potentially". DEFINATELY.  ties with the nazis has
never helped anyone.  But:  is it relevant to the quality of vw autos; I don't
think so.  Nor can we say that vwoa has much to do with hitler.  Just a low
blow from a frustrated consumer.  It is pretty obvious that the arrow slinger
has not read the book himself nor probably any other history on the subject.
Nearly every book on vw history I've read has that infamous photo with hitler
standing next to his kdf prototype.  BIG DEAL.  Ive yet to see a 911 turbo with
swastikas on the hubcaps.

2.  I sometimes struggle with a deification of my vw, and consequently, vw in
generaly.  My vin too sarts with a "w".  I find myself thinking that vw is the
best thing since sliced bread on a regular basis.  I know that they're not. But
I love my car, I love to work on my car, and I love to drive my car.  This
could be why resale values are so good.  We love our cars.  Sure theres a
million grand ams on the road every day, but how many of their drivers do more
thatn drive to work with them? (besides the few that drive around on the
interstate believing that they're on th e charlotte motor speedway in an F1.)
I'm sure vw has problems with their car.  What manufacutuere doesn't.  I'm sure
that there are asshole dealers out there with a "vw" on their business card.
I remember back int eh 70s when my father had his shop that their used to be vw
dealerships everywhere. there were at least 8 in western ny.

3.  It was surprisingly refreshing to hear someone openly criticising vw.  I
don't hear that very often.  However, being a satisfied owner, I don't put much
stock in what he has to say.  Thats why I love this list so much.  No one here
is afraid to say that a particular part is crap.  We all know that a vw is not
a perfect car.  But I know bitterness and hate mongering when I hear it.  Lets
keep the open disscussion of our vws honest, fair, and fun.  I love my vw but
i'm not going to run out a buy a fuel injected fastback!

Peace and happy motoring.
vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
Greg Faust
 84 GTI
 87 16v Scirocco
 88 16v Scirocco
email: faustge@buffalostate.edu
vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw