Overheating 86' 16v

I'm sure this has come up before.

        Runs well, but overheats.  Replaced spark plugs with Bosch Super
F6DTCs, changed oil, belts are tight, and reservoir tank full of good
coolant.  I started it up after replacing the fuel pump, drove it for a
short distance as a test drive, let it idle for 5-10 mins, and then
drove it again, never exceeding 40 mph.  A few mins into the seconf
drive, my coolant temp light came on sporatically, and then flashed
continously.  I've not had the system flushed yet, but will soon.
Assuming this doesn't solve the problem, anybody got any suggestions?

Lloyd