Next set of Problems!

Hello All,
	After replacing the alternator and fixing the current problems I was
experiencing now it is time to move on to the next set of problems. There
are 2 that I want to tackle.

1) The  car has an idle hunting problem: the idle hunts between 1500 and
500 rpm. What's the solution to clear that. Sometimes the idle is
pronounced that the engine may die if clutch is depressed too long. Also
the tach needle behaves like a very poory dampened oscillator.

2) My scirocco exhaust is loud: I hate it but it sounds loud from some
where near the bottom of the downpipe from the exhaust. I have not made a
serious attempt at detecting a leak or anything. But does not seem to be a
hole anywhere. It sounds like a loud truck though!

This list has been fantastic so far. I am not a very technical kind of
person but I can fix all the easy problems. And I have fixed many so far.
The car in reality drives very fine on the road. It is only the motion from
complete stop that is irritating as it is not smooth at all. The noise and
the jerks are amazing.

Since I bought my Scirocco in August, 1996 I have put 11000 miles on it.
But I have to say that it has nowhere near the reliability of my 1992
Passat. This car has given me unwanted headaches. But I have the taken the
attitude that I will fix and drive for  another 20,000 miles after which I
don't care what happens to this car. I will replace it with the latest Golf
at that time.

Any help/suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Pushkar Ogale

VW Scirocco 87 16V	78500 miles 	Daily Driver------Plenty of flaws
VW Passat 92 16V GL	109000 miles	Weekend/Pleasure/Family/Long
Hauler-----Flawless