Nervous and Twitchy

Mannix, talking about something else, said in part:
..."GAB supposedly makes a very good damper, but no one I know has tried them
on a VW.  I am curious.  They are known to be _stiff_, a friend has a set
for the rear of his DStock Nissan 200SX SE-R, he took them off because they
were too stiff, made the car nervous and unpredictable. "

This is the problem I am having with my 81. I haven't realy been able to
identify everything the prev. owner has done to it. I do belive the upper
strut bearings need to be replaced, that it is prob. sitting on somebody's
lowered springs 'cause there isn't too much gap on top of the 13" tires/rims.
Wiping the dust off the rear shocks revealed a red label with 'Gas-a-Just'
(sp?) on them. Hard to read the manufacturer without pulling the wheel.

If I don't keep the tank 3/4 full or more it wont handle right. Jumps around
on the freeway @ 60-75 mph. GIves no sense of confidence if it's lightly
loaded.

Now I know lots of weight in the rear helps the 50/50 balance, but this is way
too twitchy.

Car has both front and rear sway bars, Nuespeed Upper tie bar in the front.
Aftermarket, 13x6" Gold Honeycomb rims. Not sure of offset.

Suspension gurus, can you enlighten me? At least  concerning expected
tendencies; "If you do that, this will happen."

Thanks much,
TBerk