RE: Hella headlight question

Can someone please explain this entire "relay" system thing (in relation to
the headlights).  I am no electrician.  I have learned quite a bit about my
car in the last couple of years, but the electrical end of it still has me
a little clueless.  Please be as specific or as general as you would like.

John
80 Scirocco S