Re: More strut stuff

---"Crane, Damien" <d3c@TENNANTCO.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have been interestedly reading all of the postings regarding struts
> lately especially since I am very interested in adjustables.  It seems
> that the overwhelming favorite is Koni.  I am wondering is this due to
> experience with them vs. other adjustable brands or just a personal
> preference.  I never hear anything about GAB, Spax, or Tokico.  Have
> people had bad experiences with these brands?  Also, it seems that the
> Tokico Illumina is the only reasonably priced one that is adjustable
for
> both compression and rebound.  Does one gain anything significant by
> having compression adjustability?

Here is how I see it.  Koni is standard equipment on Ferrari, Porsche,
BMW, and most European Genuine SPORTS cars a VW is a Sport Compact....

GAB and Tokico seem to be big with Japanese or Asian makers.

I have heard of quality problems with SPAX, and the 24 way is realy a
gimick, its more like 5,5,7,7 for a total of 24 between the 4 struts,
not 24 each strut.

My logic;

If it is German use KONI
If it is Japanese use GAB or Tokico

I followed a Miata thread on Koni vs Tokico and even on a Japanese car
of the Winning Miatas at SCCA Nationals all were Koni's and one was GAB.

I have also heard/read that because they adjust both rebound and
compression they are actually 'slower' to respond than the Koni's.
Almost like they are trying to do much.  The Koni has been described
as having a more responsive feel.

I am a Koni & Bilstein Biggot. :-)

==
-Paul