Unbelievable

I' replaced the frunt struts on my '82 scirocco this weekend:

here's what I found: on the passenger side, the wrong kind  of strut
(monroe btw) was installed (or it had failed entirely) - when I banged
out the two lower bolts from the Stru assmbly, it shot downward, wedging
itself into the outer CV boot - I had to put spring compressors on the
spring (in the car) to dislodge it from this position. Luckily, there was
no damage to the boot.

On the other side, I discovered that the alignment bolt was stripped.

here's to all the incompetent "mechanics" out there!

(i previously found that the timing belt tensioner is from a diesel)