Shifting gave way!!!! what happened????

As i was happily driving to the bank today...  something terrible happened
to my baby!!!!  at a stop light a truck honked at me..  i ignored it later
as i was turning, he honked again...  this time i stopped by a side road.
I checked my car but there seems to be no problem...

i stepped into my baby and shifted to first gear nothing!!!!!!!!!  second
gear went in tried to go to first again but it was empty!!!!  my heart
dropped to the ground!!!!  seems that first and third is empty...  second
fourth and fifth seems okay...  i shifted into reverse to park the car
safely so as not to obstruct traffic....  then WHAMMMMM!!!!  the shifter
got stuck in R!!!!!!!  help!!!!!!!  tell me it is not my transmission but
my shifting linkage?!?!?!?!?!? tell me it is cheap to fix please!??!?!?!?

could someone please help?!?!?!??! Thanks

alfred
85 8v rocco