Tie rod boot

I noticed my tie rod boot is ripped open.  As far as I can tell there are
only two tie rod boots, one on either side of the car.
The Bentley refers to only one boot but calls it the "inner tie rod boot"
are they just referring to the boot that I can see when I have my wheel off?
I am assuming they're calling it the inner because it is on the inner side
of the tie rod. Do I need a special tool like they show in the Bentley to
get that off so I can replace that boot?
Any tips on how to check for further damage?
I think thats it

Thanks for any help/advice

ian
"newbie home mechanic" tired of paying $50+ an hour to someone else!