can you spell u-n-s-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e??

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I first sent this on the 18th, but it seems that since it was from
what was considered an invalid subscriber it was ignored. (Not
even a message back telling me: "You have attempted to post a
message to the Scirocco list. Only messages from valid subscriber
addresses are accepted. Sorry.") As you will note in the copied
message this was after several attempts to unsubscribe using
Majordomo. I am now sending it using my home email account. Please
send any replies there. (I am on digest so direct replies would be
appreciated.)

In the mean time I have continued to get digests, so it is obvious that
I am not yet unsubscribed. (The Alfa mail list just had a flame war
erupt over someone's efforts to get the attention of the list director.
I would prefer that not happen. ) I just want to unsubscribe from my
employer's email account. (We have been told we can be fired for using
company resources for non-company business. Receiving Scirocco list
mail is non-company business.) The confirmation for that subscription
was:
auth 0166a79d subscribe scirocco-l-digest farrell@icdh16.dseg.ti.com

When I was a landlord and the rent was not paid on time a certified
letter with a "Pay now or get evicted" theme was sent. Tenants would
call me complaining that the letter was awfully harsh and threatening
for what they perceived to be not their fault. I would tell them that
the letter had the desired effect: it got action; they had called;
they told me their plan for paying the rent due.

If this doesn't get me off the list I may have to try something drastic
to get evicted like playing my music too loud. Or sending messages with
no Scirocco content. Or SHOUTING ALL THE TIME. Orus ingf ourl ette rwor
dsxx.

Thanks for your time.

Bob Farrell

P.S. I'm happy with my subscription on worldnet so leave that alone.
Only the one on icdh16.dseg.ti.com is a problem.

>>>Forwarded message follows:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm sorry to burden the list with this but it seems to be the only
option left. I have been trying to unsubscribe for four days now
with no success.

1. The directions at the bottom of each message sent out by the list
seems to be incorrect: requests should be sent to Majordomo not
scirocco-L-request.

2. The directions for unsubscribing for an address different from the
one where the subscription was made does not work.

3. The directions on the scirocco.org web site are incorrect.

4. WHO has been disabled so one can not find out what address he might
have subscribed from.

5. The message that promises a person will verify unsubscribe requests
is a lie.

6. The error message from Majordomo is so generic as to be almost
useless. (Lets try to be more specific about what the error is. I
don't think this is Fort Knox or even an ATM where giving too many
clues about what the user did wrong would be a security risk: "Your
PIN was correct except for the last digit. Would you like to try
another?")

7. Requests to scirocco-l-digest-approval seem to be ignored too. (The
other mail list I belonged to had no problem having a human confirming
my unsubscribe request within 30 minutes. Yes it was a human since the
automated mailer requires matching addresses for the origin of the
unsubscribe request and where the subscription is delivered. If not, a
human confirms the unsubscribe request.)

Yes I know I'm making it difficult since the address where the
subscription was placed does not exist any more so I can't submit my
unsubscribe request from there. The internal mail router receives at
the old address and forwards the digests to me at my new work address.

Why not in the digest include subscribe/unsubscribe directions for the
digest? (You could even include an authentication code to be included
in an unsubscribe request so that only the one receiving the mail
could request subscription cancellation.) Why not delete from each of
the messages in the digest the subscribe/unsubscribe directions to
save bandwidth? They could be included once at the top of the digest.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Scirocco mail list << Scirocco
content!!

Bob Farrell