Tranny failure update - update.

I got to thinking and ended up completely disassembling my tranny
tonight.

All said and done, when I got the diff out there were not just one but 3
bolts sheered off along with a load of shavings all along the bottom of
the case. I found 2 bolts and studs but couldn't find the missing 3rd
piece. (Must be out on the course at Norton.) I took alot of pics and
when I get them back, i'll post them to my web page for all to gawk in
amazement of the crap I get to go thru. (Keep your snickers to yourselves
please....)

In related news......

Last Tuesday my GLi almost did a complete de-jab-sheit. We were just
pulling into the driveway when smoke billowed out from under the car.
(Just like my Roc did.) So I park it and take a look and its spewing
tranny fluid. (Just like my Roc did.) Next day I drop the tranny (9A) and
there's a little hole. (Just like my Roc did.) Its not as bad and there's
also a nice machined groove in the inside of the bell housing. Everything
looks fine. Clutch is all intact. Everything is where it should be. What
made the hole is beyond me. Its just a little piece of metal, shaped
something like an "L". Im hoping that I can just have the case welded up
and reuse the tranny since it appears the damage happened externally.

Meanwhile, I went to the junkyard to see if I could find a suitable
donor. I lucked out and found a 4K tranny in an 84 GTi. $89.00 and it was
mine. I'll swap in a .71 5th gear at work tomorrow and hopefully have the
axle flanges changed (The GLi uses the 100mm flanges. The 4K has the
90mm. no problem.) and the stage 1 diff kit installed. Its got a little
shorter ring and pinion but it should work fine in the GLi.

If the 9A tranny is fixable. (IE welded up and there's no internal
damage) I think its time I get a close ratio box for myself. I'll still
have the super tall 5th gear for the many freeway miles I put on the car
but around the town and on the autox course should prove -- interesting.

Anyways, the fun never stops at my house.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and