Re: Knock Sensor Is it needed for 10:1 compression

At 11:23 AM 12/26/98 EST, A1SCIROCCO@aol.com wrote:
>Hi,  I am getting a 2 liter installed sometime next month and was
wondering if
>i will need a knock sensor with a 10:1 compression ratio. Will 93 octane gas
>prevent knocking?  Also, is it hard to wire in a knock sensor on a car that
>was not equiped with it?
>
>Thanks, Matt
>84 8v

Weeeeeeellllll, Yes and no.

My 1st answer is "Of course you need one!" But I've read were folks'll back
the timing off and only ever run high octane gas and hope for the best.

As far as I have been able to learn you will need some items off a doner
car to graft the KS ( knock sensor ) system into your own.

I have a simple diagram some one was kind to send me a while back. Would
you like one? ( trying not to mail bomb - lauri - : P ).

Looks like an ign. module, a KS sensor, a 30 amp relay, a KS control unit,
a full throttle switch on the throttle body, and of course your coil, ign.
switch, and distributer.

Gotta run but I think I have a thread on grafting this kind of thing during
an engine swap. Perhaps you'll want to do a search of Dejanews.

hth,
TBerk