running too rich/emissions

I noticed my wolfie is running too rich, as the mileage sucks and the exhaust
is strong- I put it on a gas analyzer and it ran from 550 ppm at 2000 rpm HC
to 6,000 ppm at 1000 rpm HC- it is supposed to be below 220 ppm. can I get by
adjusting the mixture or is more than that the problem?

I have new air filter, new oil and filter, new plugs, good timing, good
vacuum.... but it is hard to start and idles terrible. any ideas, or should I
just attack the adjuster on the fuel distributor??

Ken
ES 4 85 Wolfie 8V
FS 4 93 LX 5.0