RE: need suggestions for a 'maintinence' brake problem :)

Yup. DEFINITELY it, especially considering that you've replaced the wheel
cylinders. I haven't done a master cylinder on a VW, but I'd think you
should be able to get a rebuild kit for it that will have new o-rings and
maybe a new piston. You should also be able to get the cylinder wall honed
to remove any scratches. Do it soon before the cylinder wall becomes too
scratched-up and you need a new one. You might have contaminated brake
fluid.

Neal