From: TBerk16@aol.com
To: Jason.r@worldnet.att.net, scirocco-L@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Clutch..
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 06:16:55 EST

In a message dated 12/18/98 11:08:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Jason.r@worldnet.att.net writes:

>       I will be installing a new clutch in my 87 16v in about a month.
>  I'm wondering how difficult of a task this is? I've done struts, head
>  gaskets, water pumps, fuel injection work, fuel pumps, brakes, etc...
>  All with little difficulty, I have a decent collection of tools, a
floor
>  jack, and jack stands. I'm wondering how long this should take and how
>  big of a pain it is, I will of course have the Bentley manual handy..
>  Thanks...
>
>  87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 motronic.
>  Jason

I used to have a 4 speed '77 and I benched pressed the tranny out and
back in
by myself, with the aid of:

1. Bentley
2. Haneys ( not as good but different point of view & pictures )
3. Poor Richard's How to Keep Your Rabbit Alive (Almost as good as the
Bentley, but way different)
4. Pregnant (now ex ) wife, held the wheel while I undid the 12 point
sockets.
I could have done it w/ the wheels on the ground. Oh and she brought me
iced
tea.
5. Rented pneumatic impact wrench to get the clutch's bolts backed out.

You'll need something to hold the engine up while you remove the tranny.
Two
by Fours, cut just the width of the hood, but not too wide to avoid
sitting up
on top of the fenders themselves, will work if you slap two together.

Clutch kits sometimes come w/ the alignment tool, check to see if. It's
easy
to build one of your own so don't fret. I can fax you a page if you need
picture w/ specs.

If you've done struts and all that other stuff then I'd say you can swap
clutch in mmmm one long day or two easy parts of the weekend. Of course
Pros
knock them out in 1/2-1 hours time.

hth.
TBerk