batt or alt prob

hey guys, this isn't haopening on my roc, but i figured it's pretty much
the same on every car and you guys are so resourceful!  i'm trying to
figure out if my battery is bad or my alternator, and the possiblity of a
short in my elec. system.  after not having driven the car in 2 months, it
was dead and wouldn't turn over.  i could get it to start from jumping it.
but after shutting off the engine, it won't restart, even if i run it for
15 minutes.  i used a voltometer and tested the battery...12v when engine
is off and 14v when engine is on.  normal, right?  also, when i turn on the
lights, the voltage drops.

so, that's the background.  my guess is the battery's dead and it's not
retaining any charge.  are there any other tests that i could do before i
settle on this conclusion?  TIA for any help.

on a side note, saw a red 16v crossing the george washington bridge on
saturday.  a lister?

~ed
1987 16v
parsippany, nj