Screeching speedometer

Hey all...has anyone's speedometer starting screeching yet in this cold
weather?  I have the worse luck with VW speedometers.  I had a Scirocco
in Germany that did the same thing as the wife's 87 Cabbie is now doing.
I drove the little beast to work this morning and damn is it noisy!
First the heater blower is grinding a little.  Then I get half way to
work and the speedo starting to screech.  Damn it's loud.  When I had
the problem in Germany, I changed the speedo cable...same thing.  The
noise went away when the weather warmed up again.  Strange.  Anyone know
exactly what causes this?  The noise starts at 25 mph and gets louder
and louder as speed increases.

-Mike
95 GTI VR6
88 Scirocco 16V